Hi! I first discovered The Supremes in 1964 when I was listening to my transistor radio in Maryland and I heard Where Did Our Love Go? for the first time. From that moment I was a fan for life. That's why I've started this blog. And I welcome you and thank you for coming by!

Monday, April 21, 2014

DIANA ROSS at Jefferson Memorial Coliseum

...on this date, April 21, 1979, 35 years ago today, I had what were supposed to be front row seats to see Miss Ross at Birmingham, AL's Jefferson Memorial Coliseum. My dear friend, Tim Lennox, who then was in Birmingham as a Newsman, got me the tickets. He had another function he had to attend that night so I had to go by myself. When I got there, those of us that had Press & Front Row Seats, were made to move back about 5 or more rows as Diana had lost an Aunt that lived in Bessemer, AL (where Diane was born) & had her entire family entourage get the seats we had tickets for. She also was late to perform that night although, of course, she put on a great show--albeit a tad short. I am a very sympathetic & emotional man but realize death is final & we all are going to go through it. I got the limited edition poster that Tim got for me framed & it has been on display in my homes across the country these past 35 years. I'm proud to have it. The last time I had seen Diana Ross perform was at The Frontier Hotel in Las Vegas, NV on January 14, 1970 when The Supremes became The Supremes again with Mary Wilson, Cindy Birdsong, & Jean Terrell & Diana Ross became a solo act. Tim Lennox is still my friend & is a CBS/ABC Morning News Anchor in Montgomery, AL. Tim has his own blog: TimLennox.com which is certainly worth checking out. I'm thankful to still be alive & still enjoying The Supremes & Diana Ross' music 50 years after they first charted this year with "Where Did Our Love Go?"

1 comment:

  1. Hi Gary...
    Yes I remember the concert tickets..wish I could remember what caused me to miss it, but I was glad you were able to go and enjoy, even a few rows back!
    Those 35 years certainly passed quickly!

    Tim

    ReplyDelete