Hi! I first discovered The Supremes in 1964 when I was listening to my transistor radio in Maryland and I heard Where Did Our Love Go? for the first time. From that moment I was a fan for life. That's why I've started this blog. And I welcome you and thank you for coming by!

Thursday, August 7, 2014

50 Years today, 8/1/1964 The Supremes were at #5...

...with their highest charting record yet! After 8 previous 'flops', with only "A Breath Taking Guy" that managed to hit #75 in the summer of 1963, The Supremes began their incredible career of hits as "Where Did Our Love Go" (which had already been turned down by The Marvelettes & Martha Reeves & The Vandellas) broke the Top 5 with The Beatles holding down the #1 spot with their "A Hard Day's Night" that held #1 for two weeks. "Where Did Our Love Go" didn't fade, however, as Frank Sinatra then took over from The Beatles for one week with "Everybody Loves Somebody". Then The Supremes took over #1 for two weeks with the first of their 12 #1 Hits on August 22, 1964--50 years ago this month! The rest was history in the making as everything in their life, & Motown's, changed. They had just begun to chart & break records that are still unsurpassed to this very day. The original release has Mary & Flo singing "Baby, Baby" 54 times throughout the song!

No comments:

Post a Comment