Hi! I first discovered The Supremes in 1964 when I was listening to my transistor radio in Maryland and I heard Where Did Our Love Go? for the first time. From that moment I was a fan for life. That's why I've started this blog. And I welcome you and thank you for coming by!

Tuesday, September 9, 2014

YOU CAN'T HURRY LOVE-THE SUPREMES

48 YEARS AGO TODAY, SEPTEMBER 10, 1966 THE SUPREMES "YOU CAN'T HURRY LOVE" topped the Billboard's Top 100 with their 6th #1 Hit. It was another Holland, Dozier, Holland song & it held #1 for 2 weeks. It entered the Hot 100 at #66 on August 13, 1966, and according to Billboard Magazine, was an upwardly mobile record, moving from 66-28-7-4 then to number one. It followed two Supremes' hits that didn't make #1 "My World Is Empty Without You" (#5) & "Love Is Like An Itching In My Heart" (#9). It prevented The Beatles' "Yellow Brick Road" from taking charge of the top spot!

In Britain it peaked at #3 putting it in a three-way tie for their second biggest single in the UK. "Baby Love" is their only #1 British song. Where Did Our Love Go?" & post Diana Ross, "Stoned Love" also hit #3 in England.

(chart information courtesy of Billboard Magazine records)

Two months later The Supremes would be topping the charts, yet again, with the follow up: "You Keep Me Hangin' On".

They still had 5 more #1 hits to go before the end of 1969!
Mary Wilson, Florence Ballard & Diana Ross kept non-stop in their touring, recording, TV appearances & interviews.



















No comments:

Post a Comment