Hi! I first discovered The Supremes in 1964 when I was listening to my transistor radio in Maryland and I heard Where Did Our Love Go? for the first time. From that moment I was a fan for life. That's why I've started this blog. And I welcome you and thank you for coming by!

Thursday, January 14, 2016

The Supremes' Final Performance-January 14, 1970--The Frontier Hotel, Las Vegas, NV

It is hard to believe that it was 46 years ago tonight that Diana Ross, Mary Wilson & Cindy Birdsong (dear Flo was out of the picture for three years at this point) had their last performance together at The Frontier Hotel in Las Vegas, Nevada--January 14, 1970. It was a star-studded evening & I will never forget it. I had tears in my eyes & chill bumps on my body most of that night. When the telegram from Ed Sullivan was read that read: Tonight one of the most successful acts of the sixties become two of the most successful acts of the seventies; The Supremes & Diana Ross, my heart stopped as I knew it was the end of an era, as millions knew it, but I had such hope that Mary Wilson's Supremes would continue successfully with Jean Terrell & Cindy. It had always been Mary that was the glue that kept The Supremes together. Could Mary continue to do thus & the answer, at least for a while, was yes. The Supremes first release, "Up The Ladder To The Roof" was a wonderful hit for them & they charted before Diana's first release, "Reach Out & Touch Somebody's Hand" which didn't fare as well as The Supremes' even though it has been Ross' signature song ever since. The Supremes' 2nd release, Everybody's Got The Right To Love, didn't do as well and Ross' 2nd was the huge Ain't No Mountain High Enough. Needless to say, Diana was off to an incredible chart topping career yet again. The Supremes had many memorable hits such as the wonderful, Stoned Love, Nathan Jones, Floy Joy, Automatically Sunshine, Your Wonderful Sweet Sweet Love, Bad Weather, & You're My Driving Wheel & I Guess I'll Miss The Man BUT never another #1. Mary held constant through all of the personnel changes but disbanded The Supremes in 1977--& I cried once again. Kudos to Mary once again as she had her first Top 20 Hit in over 40 years with her current Dance Hit, Time To Move On.

No comments:

Post a Comment