Hi! I first discovered The Supremes in 1964 when I was listening to my transistor radio in Maryland and I heard Where Did Our Love Go? for the first time. From that moment I was a fan for life. That's why I've started this blog. And I welcome you and thank you for coming by!

Tuesday, February 9, 2021

RIP Mary Wilson (1944-2021)

Mary and I at Blues Alley, Washington D.C., 2003

 I learned this morning at 7:30 that my dearest Motown Living Legend, Mary Wilson, had passed overnight.

I have lost a true friend.  I first saw The Supremes at the Carter Barron Amphitheatre in Washington, D.C. in the fall of 1964 singing the 2nd of their 12 #1 Billboard Hits. I first heard The Supremes on my little transistor radio in July of that year singing their first #1, Where Did Our Love Go?  I was sitting on the front stoop of my apartment building and from that very moment it was as if something magical had come over me. I was 14 years old. 57 years later that magic was with me EVERY DAY.  I stood guard with Mary's Mother, Johnnie Mae, Turkessa, Pedro, and dear Raphael at the Pasadena Civic Center when Mary walked to the stage when she was presented the Dr. Martin Luther King Award in January 1985. What an honor. I cherish the many dozens of pictures of Mary & me over the past 50 years and the many dozens--if not hundreds--of cards, letters, picture post cards, & phone calls we've shared. There is so much more to share with you but I am so overwhelmed I best close this for now. Thank you.



Mary and I at a book-signing in Washington, D.C., 1986

Mary and I met privately in 1970 and we have been friends ever since.  I've lived all over the country; Washington, D.C., MD, CA, NO, FL, WV, and AL. I've been blessed to see Mary perform in everyone of these states and she always acknowledged me from the stage. 

     She was always so beautiful, generous, sincere, kind, and loving.    
At The 1986 book-Signing.



The Supremes Star in Hollywood, 1985


No comments:

Post a Comment