Hi! I first discovered The Supremes in 1964 when I was listening to my transistor radio in Maryland and I heard Where Did Our Love Go? for the first time. From that moment I was a fan for life. That's why I've started this blog. And I welcome you and thank you for coming by!

Tuesday, December 16, 2014

#1 Christmas Hits by The Supremes

50 years ago this week The Supremes were in the Top 10 getting ready to take over the #1 spot from Bobby Vinton's "Mr. Lonely" with their 3rd #1 in a row hit "Come See About Me". Six months earlier they were known as the no-hit Supremes. "Come See About Me" was #1 for Christmas 1964. Five incredible years later they would once again hold the #1 song for Christmas 1969 with "Someday We'll Be Together"; this after having charted with 8 more #1's packed in that 5 year time span before "Someday We'll Be Together" to make a record breaking 12 #1 Hits for The Supremes. The Supremes broke so many records, barriers, venues, fashion statements, & the list goes on for firsts under their belts. 

The three little black girls from the ghetto of Detroit lived a 'dreams do come true' story with, unfortunately, all taking a different path. Kudos to Mary Wilson for all she did to keep us satisfied with The Supremes after Diana Ross. It was a struggle that none of us could imagine but she did it.

No comments:

Post a Comment