Hi! I first discovered The Supremes in 1964 when I was listening to my transistor radio in Maryland and I heard Where Did Our Love Go? for the first time. From that moment I was a fan for life. That's why I've started this blog. And I welcome you and thank you for coming by!

Sunday, January 12, 2014

TODAY IN HISTORY:
SUNDAY JANUARY 12, 2014

On this date, Berry Gordy, Jr., founded Motown Records (originally Tamla Records) in Detroit, Michigan in 1959. Berry was only 29 years old when he borrowed $800 from his family to open his Tamla label. On January 21, 1959 "Come To Me" by Marv Johnson as Tamla 101 was released. Smokey Robinson assisted Berry from the start & was signed and in 1960 Mary Wells was signed. His catalog of artists would soon make Motown/Tamla/Gordy labels the biggest selling record label in the United States. Berry Gordy, Jr. is still alive at 84 years old. His net worth is estimated at $345 million.

No comments:

Post a Comment