Hi! I first discovered The Supremes in 1964 when I was listening to my transistor radio in Maryland and I heard Where Did Our Love Go? for the first time. From that moment I was a fan for life. That's why I've started this blog. And I welcome you and thank you for coming by!

Thursday, January 23, 2014

Hello fellow Supremes fans.  I am so sorry I haven't posted anything for a week or so. Maybe I can throw out some tidbits of info with this quick post to tide us over until I can get more posted.

1) I think we all know The Supremes had an unprecedented 12 #1 hits; starting with 1964's "Where Did Our Love Go?" & ending with 1969's "Someday We'll Be Together".

2) The Supremes never won a Grammy!

3) Only The Beatles & Elvis Presley had more number one hits than The Supremes & Elvis was a single, male, American artist & The Beatles were a British male band.

4) Ironically, Elvis Presley, The Supremes & The Beatles ALL had their last #1 hit within eight months of each other! Elvis with "Suspicious Minds", The Supremes with "Someday We'll Be Together" & The Beatles with "The Long & Winding Road"!  AND, a lot of people don't know this but Mary & Cindy didn't sing on their last #1 song (Motown's backup singers, The Andantes did), Elvis' regular band didn't back him up on his last #1 & only Paul sang on The Beatles last #1, Paul playing the piano & singing solo & John did play the bass guitar. The others were studio musicians. 

5) "Baby Love" was The Supremes biggest hit if you base it on the most weeks at Billboard's Number 1 Hits. It held it for 4 weeks.
Baby Love was also the only song to hit #1 in England until the post Diana Ross Supremes when Mary Wilson, Cindy Birdsong, & Jean Terrell hit #1 with "Stoned Love"!

6) Mary Wilson is 20 days older than Diana Ross. Mary was born on March 6, 1944 & Diane (a) was born on March 26, 1944. Dear Florence Ballard was born on June 30, 1943. 

7) Florence Ballard had a wonderful sense of humor & also had a powerful voice. She, as Mary Wilson has often stated, didn't need music to accompany her incredible voice & range. Florence also started The Supremes, named The Supremes & was the first forced out of The Supremes in 1967 when their name was changed to Diana Ross & The Supremes. This is when Cindy Birdsong (from Patti LaBelle & The Bluebells) was brought in to replace Flo.

Thank you for checking in to my Blog & do feel free to comment on anything I post. Be well.  

Gary 

No comments:

Post a Comment