Hi! I first discovered The Supremes in 1964 when I was listening to my transistor radio in Maryland and I heard Where Did Our Love Go? for the first time. From that moment I was a fan for life. That's why I've started this blog. And I welcome you and thank you for coming by!

Wednesday, March 26, 2014

The Supremes 12 #1 Hits from Billboard Magazine

The Supremes were and still are the #1 girl group in history. They were the premier act of Motown Records in the 1960s and, at their peak, they sold more records than any other entertainer, except for the Beatles.

They helped to break down racial barriers in an era of civil rights, presented themselves as glamorous and positive role models in a decade of turmoil, and sang a versatile repertoire of songs that included everything from doo-wop, disco, show tunes, country, and, of course, their own hits.

During their eighteen-year run, the Supremes scored over 30 top 40 hits, 12 of them reaching #1. According to Billboard, only The Beatles, Mariah Carey, Elvis, Michael Jackson, and Madonna have surpassed them with more #1 hits.

The 12 #1 hits in this video are:
"Where Did Our Love Go" (1964)
"Baby Love" (1964)
"Come See About Me" (1964)
"Stop! In The Name of Love" (1965)
"Back In My Arms Again" (1965)
"I Hear A Symphony" (1965)
"You Can't Hurry Love" (1966)
"You Keep Me Hanging On" (1966)
"Love Is Here and Now You're Gone" (1967)
"The Happening" (1967)
"Love Child" (1968)
"Someday We'll Be Together" (1969)

No comments:

Post a Comment